FDA Clears New HIV Drug
The drug, Atripla, is the first once-a-day pill that can be used as a stand-alone therapy or in combination with other medications, the companies said. Atripla combines Sustiva from Bristol-Myers Squibb and Truvada from Gilead. Truvada is itself a combination pill, containing Gilead's Viread and Emtriva.
The companies say Atripla should improve patient compliance thanks to simplified dosing. The companies established a joint venture in December 2004 to create the three-drug pill.
"We appreciate the recognition by the FDA of this important therapeutic advance, and with their approval of Atripla in just over two months, patients will now have rapid access" to the drug, said John C. Martin, president and CEO of Gilead Sciences. Atripla will be available next week.Shares of Bristol-Myers Squibb fell 23 cents to $25.25; shares of Gilead slipped 8 cents to $61.68 by midafternoon.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV