Tuesday's ETF Winners & Losers
Alcoa led the losers on the downside, with shares falling about 5% after the aluminum company posted disappointing second-quarter sales. Other Dow losers included Home Depot (HD), which dropped 75 cents, or 2%, to $34.25; and Pfizer (PFE), which slid 58 cents, or 2%, to $23.29. The Diamonds Trust was recently trading down 64 cents to $110.51.
ETFs that follow the precious metals markets rose significantly Tuesday. The iShares Silver Trust (SLV) jumped $4.66, or 4%, to $115.50. Shares of streetTRACKS Gold Shares (GLD) rose $1.75, or 3%, to $63.77. The iShares COMEX Gold Trust (IAU) ETF, meanwhile, tacked on $1.72, or 3%, to $63.87.
A host of energy ETFs were trading higher Tuesday as crude oil prices climbed above $74 a barrel. The United States Oil fund (USO) advanced 83 cents, or 1.2%, to $70.39, while the Oil Services HOLDRs (OIH) rose $1.46 to $146.46. The Energy Select Sector SPRD rose 52 cents to $57.38. The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Energy (IYE) ETF climbed 87 cents to $97.32.The iShares Goldman Sachs Networking (IGN) ETF fell 1% after Lucent (LU) warned that its third-quarter results would be below Wall Street's forecast. Lucent was recently trading down 14 cents, or 6%, to $2.20. Nortel Networks (NT), another holding in the networking ETF, fell in sympathy. Nortel recently was down 15 cents, or 7%, to $2.09. The iShares ETF, meanwhile, was down 25 cents to $27.72.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV