Clock Ticking at Nielsen
The Wall Street Journal, which Tuesday published a wide-ranging piece on the development, says in its report that the new ad ratings will measure the average viewership for all the national commercial minutes that run during a program, but won't track individual commercials.
So the new service from Nielsen might not be the panacea all are looking for.
Jordan Breslow, director of national broadcast research at Mediacom, a large media buying agency, credits Nielsen with a number of their newer measurement initiatives, but says he's "not a big fan" of the new commercial ratings. Breslow says that second-by-second ratings would really capture the data that advertisers are looking for. The reason: Minute-by-minute ratings can include seconds of network programming, promotions along with advertising all measured together.
In other words, if an episode of your favorite show runs eight seconds across a minute, the viewership for the eight seconds will be lumped in the tabulation for the commercial ratings -- part of the reason, perhaps, that the networks are all so keen on the new venture. A new currency, but one that may face stern resistance from some quarters until the figures are broken down to a further degree.Meanwhile, no one has figured out how to measure the number of times people press the mute button on commercials, or how frequently they visit the WC.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV