Lacking Bidders, Houston Exploration May Falter
Fueled by takeover speculation and activist pressures, The Houston Exploration Co. (THX) has been trading up for the past month. But the rally may soon run out of steam if no deal is consummated, according to some observers.
Houston Exploration shares began to rise in mid-June after $5 billion hedge fund activist Jana Partners offered to buy the company for $62 a share, an extremely unusual move for a hedge fund. Houston Exploration shares have increased by more than 13.4% since the Jana bid, including a 1% gain in a difficult tape Friday (and a 0.2% rise to $61.95 on Monday).
One reason for Friday's rally: Wexford Capital, a $5 billion hedge fund with a 1.5% stake in the company, urged management to solicit bids other than Jana's offer, which management previously rejected. The letter, sent last Wednesday, marked the commitment by yet another large shareholder to put pressure on the company.
Representatives of Jana and Wexford declined to comment.Houston Exploration is trading at a discount to its peers and could be seen as a perfect target. Even RBC Capital Markets analyst Scott Hanold, who recently downgraded the stock to underperform, sees it as relatively cheap. His price target of $65 implies an enterprise value of 5 times estimated 2006 EBITDA, lower than the peer group, which is trading at close to 6.5 times 2006 EBITDA. Yet some believe that the rally has reached its climax, because a takeover is unlikely to take place despite the activists' efforts. "The stock is up in response to the
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV