Dobson Roams Higher
Dobson (DCEL) rose 3% Monday after posting strong second-quarter results.
The Oklahoma City-based wireless shop released solid preliminary numbers reflecting a swing back to subscriber growth, a lower user defection rate and higher monthly customer bills.
For the quarter ended last month, Dobson added 17,300 net new subscribers, compared with 2,500 added in the prior quarter and a loss of 1,100 users in the year-ago period.
The higher net subscriber growth was due to a sharply reduced monthly cancellation rate. Dobson says defections, or churn, fell to 1.84% in the second quarter, down from 2.25% a year ago and 2% in the previous quarter.The company expects the average revenue per user to have jumped to $47.80 from $46.76 in the first quarter and $45.28 a year ago. Another strong measure of the company's improved performance came from its increased roaming proceeds. Dobson says it had about 675 million roaming minutes in the second quarter, compared with 517 million in the year-ago period, as more non-Dobson customers called from within the company's territory. The company says the roaming traffic yielded about 10.5 cents a minute, higher than Wall Street was expecting and well above the 9.7 cents in the first quarter. "The unexpectedly high roaming yields make this company more attractive" to other companies, says one investor who owns the stock. "This would be a great acquisition candidate for Cingular if this trend continues." Dobson shares rose 24 cents Monday to $7.94.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV