Gurus Seek Profits in Fun, Sun
This column was originally published on RealMoney on July 6 at 3:00 p.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
It's summer and my thoughts are focused on, well, having fun. That got me thinking about which companies benefit from our desire for recreation.
I found that the recreational products industry has several companies that attract the attention of the guru strategies I follow. Some are marine-oriented, some are toymakers and then there's that icon of the open road, Harley-Davidson (HDI).
Each of these names stacks up well against the strategy based on the writings of Peter Lynch. The Lynch strategy looks, in part, at the price-to-earnings ratio relative to growth, which is a measurement of how reasonable the price is. A low P/E/G suggests the price might be a bargain.The other strategy I reference is based on Warren Buffett's methodology, which as I understand it, looks for companies with a competitive advantage, predictable earnings increases, conservative financing and a return on equity of at least 15%, among other criteria.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV