Friday's ETF Winners & Losers
The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Industrial (IYJ) exchange-traded fund moved lower Friday after several Dow components faltered. Blue chips were brought down by 3M (MMM), which warned that its second-quarter results would be lower than Wall Street's forecast. IBM (IBM) and Honeywell (HON) also helped drag down the index as well. The iShares ETF recently changed hands at $61.69, down 41 cents.
The Merrill Lynch Semiconductor HOLDRs (SMH) ETF was down 1% after Advanced Micro Devices (AMD) cut its second-quarter sales forecast. Other stocks dragging down the ETF included Analog Devices (ADI) and Intel (INTC), AMD's biggest competitor. Shares in chipmaker Atmel (ATML) were recently sliding some 3%, which weighed on the ETF as well. The chip ETF was trading down 31 cents to $32.01.
Several ETFs that track the metals market headed lower after weaker-than-expected employment data released Friday suggested that the economy may not be strong enough to spur continued demand in gold and silver. The iShares COMEX Gold Trust (IAU) was down 19 cents to $62.86. The streetTRACKS Gold Shares (GLD) ETF was down 25 cents to $62.77. And the iShares Silver Trust (SLV) shed $1.84, or 2%, to $114.15.
The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Broker-Dealers Index (IAI), meanwhile, slipped 1% after one of its components warned of a big second-quarter loss. LaBranche (LAB) tumbled more than 20% after the specialist trading firm said that it would post a $23 million loss for the quarter. Shares of the broker-dealer ETF were recently down 54 cents to $45.35.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV