Friday's Winners & Losers: RadioShack
Shares of LaBranche (LAB) were among the NYSE's losers Friday, tumbling 21% after the specialist trading firm warned of a big second-quarter loss.
The company sees a loss of about $23 million, with an operating loss of about $5 million, or 8 cents a share. LaBranche also said its loss would include noncash costs of about $17 million related to a decline in the estimated fair value of the restricted shares of NYSE Group (NYX) that it owns. The company attributed the operating loss to a decline in principal trading revenue in its specialist and market-making business. LaBranche expects to post principal trading revenue of about $20 million, down significantly from the $47 million it posted during the year-earlier quarter. "These lower principal trading results were due to adverse market conditions in May and June 2006," the company said. Shares were trading down $2.65 to $9.79.
3M (MMM) slid 7% after the consumer and industrial conglomerate warned that second-quarter earnings would miss its previous guidance. The company continues to expect earnings of $1.14 to $1.17 a share, but that now includes one-time gains of 8 cents to 10 cents a share. Without the one-time items, earnings would be below earlier guidance. On the top line, 3M sees revenue of about $5.7 billion. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call project second-quarter earnings of $1.17, excluding the one-time items, and revenue of $5.71 billion. "This second quarter performance was impacted in large part by lower than expected sales volumes and higher than anticipated new capacity start-up costs in the optical systems division, a part of 3M's display and graphics business segment," the company said.
For all of 2006, 3M anticipates earnings of $4.55 to $4.65 a share, including the one-time gains of 8 cents to 10 cents a share. Analysts project earnings of $4.66 a share. Shares were down $5.96 to $75.43.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV