A New Crack in Corning
Corning (GLW) shares dipped on renewed worries over mounting flat-panel display inventories.
Spring is generally the most challenging season for TV sales. Consumer demand for TVs tends to slacken at a time when the year's new models pile up before last year's models can be cleared out, say analysts. Adding to the supply mess, says 3M, was overordering in anticipation of big TV sales during soccer's World Cup finals.
"It appears the industry overestimated demand for LCD televisions in anticipation of the FIFA World Cup and has temporarily reduced production accordingly," says 3M CEO George Buckley, in a press release Friday.Evidence of an LCD glut has been
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV