Verizon Files for Directories Spinoff
Verizon (VZ) took another step toward the divestiture of its telephone directories business Friday, filing a form 10 with the Securities and Exchange Commission that clears the way for a potential spinoff.
Verizon, which said it was exploring alternatives for the directories unit in December, said it has yet to decide on exactly what form the separation will take. The New York phone company did say, however, that it expects some type of transaction -- a spinoff, sale, or combination -- will close by the end of 2006.
The Dallas-based unit houses Verizon's domestic print and Internet yellow pages and employs 7,100 people. For 2005, it earned $1.75 billion before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortization, on sales of $3.45 billion. All told, the unit is believed to be worth about $13 billion.
Verizon closed at $33.02 Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV