Starbucks Fails to Satisfy Wall Street's Fix
Starbucks (SBUX) posted a 6% rise in June same-store sales but failed to meet Wall Street's lofty expectations, sending shares down in late trading.
Analysts polled by Thomson First Call reportedly expected a 7% rise in June comps. Starbucks' own forecast calls for monthly same-store sales growth of 3% to 7%.
The coffee retailing giant reported total June revenue of $751 million, up 22% from $618 million a year earlier.
"Sales were primarily driven by the popularity of our seasonal handcrafted blended beverages," said Jim Donald, president and chief executive, in a statement. "In addition, food sales were a strong contributor, from both expanded lunch locations and enhanced bakery offerings."Starbucks shares recently dropped $1.32, or 3.5%, to $36.56 in after-hours trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV