New Oil Subsector ETFs Prove Refined
In the flurry of new subsector ETFs, several energy-related products have hit the market. The old standby ETF for energy exposure not heavily weighted to Exxon Mobil (XOM) has been the Oil Services HOLDR (OIH).
Buying OIH, however, can prove problematic for some investors. As with all HOLDRs, its shares can only be bought in round lots of 100, and those shares trade around $150.
Those two factors could make investing in OIH too inflexible for some. Consider that energy makes up roughly 10% of the S&P 500, while oil services makes up only a quarter of the sector, as measured by the Energy Sector SPDR (XLE). As a result, 100 shares of OIH may be too large of a bet for many investors, as the size of the investment could dominate a portfolio.
State Street Global Advisors and iShares have both recently rolled out funds that allow investors to more flexibly capture the exploration and production (E&P) and services portions of the energy sector.State Street now offers:
- iShares Dow Jones U.S. Oil Equipment & Services (IEZ)
- iShares Dow Jones U.S. Oil and Gas Exploration & Production (IEO)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV