Hewlett-Packard to Shrink Office Space
Forging ahead with its companywide restructuring plan, Hewlett-Packard (HPQ) announced Thursday that it will consolidate its sprawling array of worldwide offices.
The move is intended to reduce real estate costs by consolidating several hundred locations into "fewer core sites," H-P said in an announcement. The company did not disclose the amount of savings it expects to reap from the move.
H-P said it will close certain sites or floors in buildings that it owns and relinquish floor space in leased locations.
As of Oct. 31, 2005, H-P owned or leased approximately 65 million square feet of space worldwide, including administrative and manufacturing facilities, according to its annual report.The real estate consolidation is the latest in a string of actions undertaken by CEO Mark Hurd designed to cut the company's costs and streamline operational efficiencies. A key aspect of the plan includes layoffs of more than 15,000 H-P employees, or 10% of its workforce. The move is expected to save the company some $2 billion in fiscal 2007. Shares of H-P were up 1%, or 32 cents, at $33.09 in late trading Thursday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV