Thursday's ETF Winners & Losers
Several Latin America ETFs jumped Thursday as results from Mexico's presidential election reportedly showed ruling-party candidate Felipe Calderon as holding the lead in votes. The iShares MSCI Mexico Index (EWW) fund was up $1.36, or 4%, to $39.36, while shares of iShares S&P Latin America 40 Index (ILF) rose $2.59, or 2%, to $139.15. Shares in the iShares MSCI Brazil Index (EWZ), meanwhile, were trading up 59 cents, or 2%, to $39.06.
Retailers were on the move after chain stores posted June same-store sales data. As a whole, retail sales came in on the light side for the month, with particularly lackluster results from bellwethers Wal-Mart (WMT) and Gap (GPS).
Shares in the Retail HOLDRs Trust (RTH) were recently trading down 17 cents to $93.26. The Consumer Discretionary SPDR (XLY) ETF rose 1 cent to $33.14. The PowerShares Dynamic Retail (PMR) ETF slipped 7 cents to $17.01.
The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Consumer Goods (IYK) ETF rose 1% after Altria (MO) and other tobacco companies received a favorable court ruling in Florida that reversed a $145 billion punitive damages award against the industry. Altria was higher by $3.81 to $77.14. The iShares consumer goods ETF, which has Altria as its No. 2 holding, was recently trading up 57 cents to $53.87. The Vanguard Consumer Staples VIPER (VDC) and the Consumer Staples SPDR (XLP), which also have Altria as a major holding, were each up 1% as well.Concerns over North Korea's continued rhetoric about past and future missile launches didn't hurt enthusiasm for ETFs that track companies that do business in the region. Shares of iShares FTSE/Xinhau China 25 Index (FXI) were trading up $1.88, or 2%, to $77.82. The iShares MSCI Japan Index (EWJ) ETF rose 17 cents to $13.59. And the iShares MSCI Hong Kong Index (EWH) was trading up 16 cents to $13.61.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV