Legal Triumph for Cigarette Makers
A highly anticipated legal ruling went in favor of the tobacco industry Thursday, as the supreme court of Florida upheld a decision to disallow a massive punitive-damages award against cigarette makers.
Because of the ruling, companies like Altria (MO), the parent of Philip Morris, Reynolds American (RAI), Loews (LTR) and Vector Group (VGR), won't have to pay $145 billion in punitive damages in a lawsuit known as the Engle case.
The Florida supreme court agreed with a lower-court ruling that the case shouldn't have been certified as a class action and said the award was excessive.
The case goes back to 1994, when a doctor named Howard Engle and a small group of other plaintiffs sued the tobacco companies. The case eventually went to trial, ending in 2000 with a jury saying cigarette manufacturers had lied about their products and deciding to assess the huge monetary penalty.An appellate court threw out the $145 billion award in 2003. Shares of Altria surged 7.3% to $78.71 when the decision became known. Reynolds American was up 4.8% to $119.85, Vector rose 4% to $17.04 and Loews advanced 2% to $36.22.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV