Clearwire Pulls IPO After Intel Investment
Updated from July 5
The company also withdrew a planned $400 million initial public offering it originally registered in May.
In addition to selling its NextNet Wireless business to Motorola, the agreement makes Motorola a key supplier of network infrastructure to Clearwire.The closely-held Craig McCaw start-up has plans to use a not fully standardized technology known as Worldwide Interoperability of Microwave Access, or WiMax, to provide high-speed wireless service. "Wi-Fi has become an essential part of people's lives. WiMAX is next. It is rapidly moving from a technology initiative to real deployments," Intel Mobility chief Sean Maloney says in a press release Wednesday. The Kirkland, Wash.-based tech shop has WiMax service in 27 markets, largely in the Northwest and Mid-Atlantic. The company has about 18,000 subscribers in the U.S. and 11,500 in Belgium and Ireland. Clearwire holds licensed radio spectrum in the 2.4 gigahertz to 2.6 gigahertz range and delivers fast mobile connections over a much broader territory than technologies like WiFi, with their hot-spot limitations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV