Dykstra: Reflections and Remembrances
On America's birthday, let me take the opportunity to introduce you to a new monthly feature in which I will review my picks and my performance for each month. I recognize that many fans like to keep score; now I'm providing them a way to do so.
Remember, with my low risk/high reward strategy utilizing in-the-money call options, we insulate ourselves from the drastic market swings that the ordinary trader must endure. We accomplish this by giving ourselves a significant time frame, approximately four to six months, before our in-the-money calls expire.
That doesn't mean, however, that we can't achieve our goal, a $1,000 profit, in just a few days or weeks. This is demonstrated by my
Faithful readers may note that I have mentioned Dow Chemical frequently in past columns. In fact, I have mentioned it in 11 columns. Trading in and out of a high-quality company like Dow Chemical when its stock falls and its in-the-money-calls are priced attractively is a great example of how I approach the market.Remember, this is not a "buy-and-hold" operation. Our goal is all about making money. We want to reap at least a $1,000 profit after we purchase our deep in-the-money calls. To help us do that, we set a good-until-canceled (GTC) limit sell order. This way, we don't have to watch the tape every second the market is open. We are protecting our investment -- if the stock makes a nice move and spikes up during the trading day, your order will automatically get filled because you set a GTC limit sell order -- typically 1 point above our in-the-money call price. This will allow you to capture that $1,000 gain without making a phone call or watching your computer all day. And now, on to our other picks from June, all of which I'm still long as of this writing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV