Wal-Mart June Sales Rise 1.2%
Last month was no picnic for Wal-Mart (WMT).
The world's largest retailer estimated Saturday that sales at its stores open at least a year rose just 1.2% in June, coming in at the low end of the company's own expectations for 1% to 3% growth.
In a statement posted on its Web site, Wal-Mart offered no explanation for the results. A year earlier, the Bentonville, Ark.-based company reported more robust same-store sales growth of 4.5%.
Saturday's announcement may raise fears that other large retailers will have disappointing news Thursday, when most are scheduled to report June sales.Wal-Mart shares ended the week at $48.17.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV