Michaels Stores Takes Buyout
Arts and crafts retailer Michaels Stores (MIK) said late Friday that it has agreed to a $6 billion buyout offer from two private equity firms.
Bain Capital and Blackstone Group will pay $44 a share for the company - a 30% premium to the company's closing price before Michaels Stores' announcement on March 20 that it planned to pursue "strategic alternatives."
The stock closed Friday up nearly 9% to $41.24.
Bain and Blackstone will own equal stakes in the company.Completing the transaction, which is expected by the end of the year, is contingent on regulatory review and approval by the shareholders of Michaels Stores. Earlier this month, the retailer filed its delayed quarterly report late and confirmed that there may be accounting discrepancies in its financials related to stock options granted before 2001.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV