RIM Gets a Prudence Payoff
The two companies, which each essentially offer enhanced cell phones, both posted better-than-expected numbers for the latest quarter. And they both posted strong gains of new customers.
Both companies have come under intense scrutiny in recent months and have seen their stocks slide as a result. Potentially feeding into investor skepticism, both companies warned Thursday of potentially disappointing results in the next quarter.
However, they both projected results will pick up in subsequent quarters as they rollout new products.Despite all the similarities, the market's verdict was anything but similar. In recent trading on Friday, shares of RIM were up about 5%, while Palm's stock was off nearly 12%. To be sure, there were some differences in their reports. While RIM's current-quarter guidance range was only slightly under the Street's consensus at its midpoints, Palm's fell far shy on both the top and bottom lines. Still, Palm offered a fairly specific forecast for its full year that was above expectations, while RIM didn't offer any kind of numeric outlook for coming periods, simply offering qualitative assurances that its business was "going great." But the difference seemed to be in how investors and analysts interpreted the companies' expectations. RIM was given a pass for prudently underpromising, while analysts argued that Palm's report raised questions about whether it really could meet its bullish outlook in coming periods. RIM's management is "deliberately being very conservative," says Chyanne Fickes, a portfolio manager with Stone Asset Management, which is long RIM. Given the recent market selloff of tech and other stocks, "clearly there's no upside for any company to promise anything that don't know they can absolutely deliver."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV