General Mills Matches Forecast
General Mills' (GIS) fourth-quarter earnings fell sharply from a gain-swollen year-ago period, but the cereal maker still matched Wall Street forecasts.
The company earned $222 million, or 61 cents a share, in the quarter, compared with $460 million, or $1.14 a share, a year ago. Last year's quarter had a gain of $284 million related to the sale of Lloyd's refrigerated meat and a European snacks venture. Analysts were forecasting earnings of 61 cents a share in the most recent period.
Sales rose 5%, to $2.85 billion, beating the consensus estimate of $2.80 billion, while unit volume rose 3%.
Retail net sales rose 5% about $1.9 billion, while domestic retail unit volume rose 3%. International sales rose 6% in 2006 to more than $1.8 billion, with unit volume up 4%. In bakeries and foodservice, revenue rose 2% to nearly $1.8 billion, while unit volume was flat.For the fiscal year ending in May 2007, General Mills expects to earn $3.03 to $3.08 a share; analysts are calling for $3.07 a share. "We expect another year of good operating performance, consistent with our long-term growth goals," General Mills said. "Our targets call for low single-digit growth in net sales and mid single-digit growth in segment operating profits. We anticipate this growth from our businesses will be partially offset by higher interest expense and a higher tax rate. In addition, beginning in the first quarter of 2007, our results will include stock option expense." General Mills closed Wednesday at $51.46. In premarket trading Thursday, the shares rose 4 cents, or 0.1%, to $51.50.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV