Monsanto Cultivates Upside
Sales and earnings jumped in Monsanto's (MON) third quarter, with both coming in ahead of estimates.
Monsanto earned $334 million, or $1.21 a share, in the quarter, compared with $47 million, or 17 cents a share, a year ago. Total sales were $2.35 billion in the latest quarter, up from $2.04 billion a year ago. On average, analysts were expecting earnings of $1.20 a share in the latest quarter on sales of $2.23 billion.
"Key drivers for the quarter were increased seeds and traits revenues in the United States, primarily driven by higher revenues from the company's soybean business, and greater farmer adoption of the company's corn products," Monsanto said.
Looking ahead, Monsanto reiterated full-year earnings guidance of $2.50 to $2.55 a share; the Thomson First Call consensus estimate is $2.60 a share."The company also confirmed that its guidance for free cash flow in fiscal year 2006 remains in the range of $825 million to $900 million, with net cash provided by operating activities in the range of $1.375 billion to $1.450 billion, and net cash required by investing activities of approximately $550 million." Monsanto's shares closed at $76.64 Wednesday. Thursday morning, they were up 61 cents, or 0.8%, to $77.25.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV