Andrx Holders Approve Watson Deal
Shareholders of Andrx, based in Fort Lauderdale, Fla., voted Wednesday on a deal that should be completed in the third quarter, the companies said. Watson is based in Corona, Calif.
The $1.9 billion cash transaction must be approved by the Federal Trade Commission, which has twice asked the companies for more information, most recently in early May. For the deal to close, "other various conditions" must be met. The companies didn't provide details.
Although a special Andrx shareholder meeting was scheduled for 10 a.m. EDT, the companies didn't announce the results until after the markets had closed. In regular trading, Andrx closed at $23.42, up 7 cents. After hours, the stock gained 3 cents. Watson's stock closed at $23.32, up 5 cents.The Andrx-Watson deal represents another example of generic drug-industry consolidation. On Tuesday, Barr Pharmaceuticals (BRL) signed an agreement to pay $2.2 billion for Pliva, a generic-drug company based in Zagreb, Croatia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV