Palm, Xerox Settle Patent Suit
Under the agreement which will settle a suit filed by Xerox in 1997, Palm will license three Xerox patents and the companies agreed not to sue each other for seven years over patent infringement. The agreement covers not only Palm but spinoff PalmSource, now a subsidiary of Access, and former parent company 3Com (COMS), each of which will be dismissed from the suit and will be granted licenses to the Xerox patents.
In the suit, Xerox had charged that Palm's handwriting recognition software, called Graffiti, violated its patents on similar technology. After a setback in the case, Palm discontinued using Graffiti and replaced it with a substitute handwriting system. In the latest round of the suit, the parties gave oral arguments to the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit in April.
Palm will account for the settlement as a charge in its fourth-quarter results, which it will report on Thursday.Following the announcement, Palm's stock was off 29 cents, or about 1.6%, to $18.03 in recent trading, while Xerox's stock was up 7 cents, or 0.5%, to $13.36.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV