Nortel to Thin Ranks
Nortel (NT) will end its traditional pension plan and eliminate about 1,100 jobs as the Canadian telecom-gear maker continues with its cost-cutting endeavors.
The changes to the pension plan should lower annual expenses by $100 million starting in 2008 and produce savings of more than $400 million in cash by 2012.
Starting Jan. 1, 2008, Nortel said employees currently in defined-benefit pension plans will be switched to defined-contribution retirement programs. Post-retirement healthcare benefits will be terminated for workers who aren't at least 50 and have five years of service on July 1 this year.
Nortel is actually ending 1,900 positions worldwide, but the company will create around 800 new jobs, for a net loss of 1,100. Nortel also explained that it will "flatten the organization and shift to a culture marked by agility and accountability."Total costs of the organizational changes will be about $100 million during the next two years. A charge of $35 million will be recorded in the second quarter. Nortel said it will save about $100 million next year and around $175 million annually starting in 2008 from the cuts. Shares of Nortel lost 7 cents, or 3.3%, to $2.08 Tuesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV