Another Fine for Morgan Stanley
Morgan Stanley (MS) keeps racking up regulatory fines stemming from sloppy management and oversight of its huge staff.
The big Wall Street firm is paying $10 million to the Securities and Exchange Commission to settle allegations that it failed to maintain and enforce procedures to prevent employees from misusing nonpublic information.
"Morgan Stanley failed to conduct any surveillance of a massive number of employee accounts held at the firm and trading in certain securities in those and other accounts,'' says the settlement announcement.
The SEC specifically alleges that Morgan Stanley had no system in place for making sure that its employees were not engaging in improper insider trading for their personal benefit. The regulators say only recently has Morgan Stanley begun instituting a system to monitor trading by its employees.Last month the SEC ordered Morgan Stanley pay a $15 million fine to settle allegations that the investment firm had repeatedly failed to turn internal emails requested by regulators. In that matter, the SEC charged Morgan Stanley failed to produce "tens of thousands of emails'' that were repeatedly demanded by regulators over a five-year period, beginning in 2000. The SEC said the firm's actions "compromised'' the two investigations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV