Friday's Tech Winners & Losers
Shares of Blackboard (BBBB) were among technology's winners Friday, surging 15% after the software company bolstered its second-quarter and full-year outlook.
The company now sees a loss of 23 cents to 24 cents a share, with revenue of $41.8 million to $42.8 million. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call project a wider loss of 29 cents a share and revenue of $41.4 million. Previously, the company forecast a loss of 28 cents to 30 cents a share on revenue of $40.5 million to $41.5 million. On a so-called cash basis, which excludes items, the company now sees a loss of 4 cents to 5 a share, narrowed from an earlier view of 9 cents to 10 cents.
For the full year, Blackboard now anticipates a loss of 43 cents to 47 cents a share. The company's prior forecast called for a loss of 50 cents to 54 cents a share. Blackboard raised its revenue forecast to $173.1 million to $176.1 million from a previous estimate of $169.7 million to $172.7 million. Analysts project a loss of 52 cents a share and revenue of $171.6 million. On a cash basis, the company now sees a profit of 15 cents to 19 cents a share, up from an earlier view of 8 cents to 13 cents a share. Shares were up $3.63 to $27.95.
Tektronix (TEK) slid 9% after the company posted solid fiscal fourth-quarter results but gave a lower-than-expected guidance for the first quarter. The company, which makes testing and measurement equipment for computer and chip companies, posted earnings of $31.9 million, or 37 cents a share, for the period ended May 27. Excluding items, the company earned $36.4 million, or 43 cents a share, a penny better than analysts' average forecast. Revenue totaled $289.3 million, compared with Wall Street's projection of $282.3 million. A year earlier, the company earned $27.4 million, or 31 cents a share, on revenue of $261 million.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV