Wachovia Sells Mortgage Servicing Unit
The transaction, valued at $469 million, will enable Barclays to strengthen its U.S.-based mortgage securitization business.
Mortgage servicing is a business in which a bank earns fees collecting interest payments and handling other duties on home loans.
It appears Wachovia is picking the right time to sell its mortgage servicing business, now that the Federal Reserve is expected to slow the pace of future interest rate hikes.Mortgage servicing tends to perform best when interest rates are rising, as they have been for the past year. Higher rates extend the life of the loan portfolio. By contrast, low interest rates prompt homeowners either to refinance their mortgages or pay them off early, and that decreases the portfolios value. In a period of declining interest rates, mortgage servicers often are forced to take big charges against earnings to account for the reduced value of their loan portfolios.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV