GE to Acquire Sweden's Biacore
GE's (GE) health care unit is offering to buy Sweden's Biacore International, a maker of tools for protein research, for about $438 million.
A part of Pfizer (PFE) owns 41% of Biacore and said it supports the transaction. Biacore employs about 300 people worldwide, and operates a research and development and manufacturing facilities in Uppsala, Sweden, where GE Healthcare Life Sciences is based.
"GE Healthcare and Biacore have a shared vision on the importance of life sciences research to future developments in improving global health care," said Joe Hogan, president and CEO of the GE division. "Life sciences is a key area of growth for GE Healthcare, and Biacore is highly complementary and synergistic with our existing protein sciences business."
Founded in 1984, Biacore's systems generate data on the interactions between proteins and other molecules, including small molecules such as drug candidates. Biacore's products are used in areas such as antibody characterization, proteomics immunogenicity and production.Shares of GE were down 7 cents at $33.65. Pfizer slipped 16 cents to $22.90.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV