Aquila Buys Out of Contract
Electric utility company Aquila (ILA) said Friday that it will pay $218 million to a subsidiary of Constellation Energy (CEG) to assume the ownership of its Elwood tolling contracts, which had obligated the company to purchase power from the Illinois plant.
The contract obligations extend through August 2017 and this transaction eliminates around $405 million in fixed financial obligations. The $218 million payment will be a pretax charge to its earnings, Kansas City, Mo.-based Aquila said.
The Elwood tolling contracts, entered into in 2000, obligated Aquila to purchase around 600 MW of the generating capacity from the 1400 MW Elwood plant.
The company's shares were down 3 cents at $4.13 in recent trading Friday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV