Thursday's Financial Stock Winners & Losers
Bear Stearns (BSC) sahres surged Thursday as the company posted an 81% gain in second-quarter earnings. The company earned $539 million, or $3.72 a share, up from $298 million, or $2.09 a share, in the year-ago period. The firm generated net revenue of $2.5 billion in the quarter, up 33% from a year ago. The New York-based brokerage blew past the Thomson Financial consensus estimate for earnings of $3.12 a share on revenue of $2.1 billion. Shares gained $7.03, or 5.7%, to $131.23 in recent trading.
GFI Group (GFIG) surged after the New York-based brokerage was upgraded by Citigroup to buy from hold. Shares gained $5.81, or 12.5%, to $52.44 in recent trading.
CharterMac (CHC) gained after the New York-based real estate finance company said it agreed to acquire 100% of the ownership interests of ARCap Investors, a privately-held Dallas-based fund manager, in a deal that values ARCap at $284.5 million. "The acquisition of ARCap is the next step in the transformation of our company from a spread investor to a real estate fund manager," CharterMac CEO Marc Schnitzer said in a statement. Shares climbed 42 cents, or 2.5%, to $17.45 in recent trading.
Thornburg Mortgage (TMA) gained after the Santa Fe, N.M.-based single-family residential mortgage lending company declared a second-quarter dividend of 50 cents a share on its 8% Series C cumulative redeemable preferred stock. This dividend will be payable on July 17 to preferred shareholders of record as of June 30. The ex-dividend date is June 28. Shares gained 73 cents, or 2.8%, to $26.69 recently.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV