D.C. Market Weak for Homebuilders
The Washington D.C. housing market continues to see far fewer home orders because of the rising inventory levels in the region, which is hurting homebuilders.
Contracts in the greater metro region fell 40% in May, and closings declined 32%, according to a research note from Raymond James analyst Rick Murray that was released Thursday morning.
Inventory for sale at the end of the month totaled almost 25,000 units, which represents 5.9 months of supply, compared with 1.1 months a year ago and 5.3 months in April.
"Conditions appear to be deteriorating in the D.C. market and we suspect stabilization will not come for some time as immense speculation over the past few years will weigh on the market for some time," Murray wrote.Public builders with a major presence in the market include Toll Brothers (TOL), Hovnanian (HOV), NVR (NVR), and Comstock Homebuilding (CHCI). Besides the nation's capital, parts of California, southern Florida and Phoenix have also seen rising housing inventories, which have
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV