Miner ETF Not Quite as Good as Gold
Here's a warning for investors who believe they have the Midas touch: Not all gold ETFs are guaranteed to shine.
Van Eck's Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF (GDX) had traded on the American Stock Exchange for only one session last month when the World Gold Council reported some seemingly great news. Gold investment demand through ETFs jumped 59% in the first quarter of 2006 from a year earlier, the council's data showed.
For gold investors, the news wasn't particularly surprising, given that the returns on the market-dominant gold ETF, the streetTRACKS Gold Shares (GLD), were up 25% for the year as of May 23, the date of the WGC's release. The other main ETF linked to gold, the iShares Comex Gold (IAU), was up in a similar amount. Meanwhile, the money managers at New York-based Van Eck, seeking to capitalize on the success of streetTRACKS Gold Shares, had launched the Market Vectors Gold Miners ETF in hopes that investors would find the miners as enticing as the metal.
The new mining ETF is up about 2.4% from its first day of trading May 22, while gold prices have fallen about 1.6% amid a widespread commodities downturn. But some observers say that Van Eck's new baby doesn't have what it takes to achieve the type of longer-term success exhibited by the streetTRACKS Gold Shares.George Milling-Stanley, the WGC's manager of investor and market intelligence, sees higher gold prices down the road, but he remains skeptical about how well the gold miners ETF will fare, given the competition from other investment strategies. "What investors in
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV