What the Insider Crowd's Buying
Luminent (LUM) was one of the hardest-hit mortgage REITs. As its indicated yield fell because of disappointing earnings, its share price collapsed by more than 40% last August and September. Insiders bought in last November and already have seen those bets pay off. Their continued buying now seems to indicate that more capital appreciation is likely, which is the real reason to buy Luminent because its indicated yield remains a relatively paltry 2.2%.
But not every mortgage REIT had such a harsh decline in its payout, yet saw shares suffer anyway. This seems to have made yields in these names too tempting for insiders to ignore. The higher-yielding insider-buying candidates in this sector include:
- Northstar Realty Finance (NRF), with an indicated yield of 11.0%.
- Deerfield Triarc Capital (DFR), 11.1%
- Newcastle Investment (NCT), 10.7%
- JER Investors Trust (JRT), 6.3%
- Affordable Residential Communities (ARC), 7.1%
Also represented in the buying-the-yield trend are good ol' energy master limited partnerships (MLPs). The two that caught my eye in the recent data were Inergy (NRGY) and Martin Midstream (MMLP). They are expected to yield 8.3% and 8.0%, respectively, but I think their prospects for organic growth argue for some capital appreciation as well.
MLPs generally store and transport oil and gas through extensive pipeline assets (the so-called "midstream" of the energy sector) and are organized to distribute most of their net income to unit holders. They have been safe bets in the recent past, and judging from insider sentiment, they should do just fine in the near future as well.P.S. from TheStreet.com Editor-in-Chief, Dave Morrow:
It's always been my opinion that it pays to have more -- not fewer -- expert market views and analyses when you're making investing or trading decisions. That's why I recommend you take advantage of our free trial offer to TheStreet.com's RealMoney premium Web site, where you'll get in-depth commentary and money-making strategies from over 50 Wall Street pros, including Jim Cramer. Take my advice -- try it now.
Please note that due to factors including low market capitalization and/or insufficient public float, we consider MMR, MWP, LUM, NRF, JRT, ARC and MMLP to be small-cap stocks. You should be aware that such stocks are subject to more risk than stocks of larger companies, including greater volatility, lower liquidity and less publicly available information, and that postings such as this one can have an effect on their stock prices.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV