What the Insider Crowd's Buying
This column was originally published on RealMoney on May 31 at 8:25 a.m. EDT. It's being republished as a bonus for TheStreet.com readers.
Although I am officially on a "sell" signal now and am primarily in cash, I admit to being a bit more impressed this week with the very large number of companies whose insiders are already indicating value during this selloff. I'm not ready to pounce myself, but if you are intent on trying to bottom-feed at this time, you might as well start by looking at what insiders are buying.
When I look at insider trends, I don't just tally the numbers from the raw data. I sort through the filings and assess whether I consider the activity significant. I have various systems to help score the data, but in the end, it comes down to actually pulling up the insider histories of the companies and individual executives to help analyze the actions.
There's just no substitute for eyes-on investigation, and I find that I get much better insight into trends when I stay focused on the higher-quality information that I derive from such analysis.As I sorted through three weeks' worth of data this holiday weekend, two buying trends stood above the rest: energy and high yields.
- McMoRan Exploration (MMR)
- Goodrich Petroleum (GDP)
- Forest Oil (FST)
- MarkWest Hydrocarbon (MWP)
- Helix Energy Solutions (HELX)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV