McKesson Sells Prescription Software Unit
Medical-products and services provider McKesson (MCK) reached a deal to sell its automated prescription-systems business to privately held firm Parata Systems.
McKesson's automated prescription-systems unit makes software that helps retail pharmacies improve patient safety and operate more efficiently. McKesson said charges associated with the transaction will probably cut its earnings by about 4 cents a share. The company expects to close the sale in the fiscal first quarter.
The companies also signed a long-term pact under which McKesson will become the sole outside distributor for all Parata products in North America. McKesson will become a significant minority investor in Parata and get two seats on its board. McKesson's high-volume solutions and pharmacy-systems business weren't included in the transaction.
Parata Systems is based in Durham, N.C., and was founded in 2001.Shares of McKesson were down 48 cents, or 1%, at $48.26.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV