Dykstra: Swinging for the Fences With Microsoft
Unequivocally, the best short-term results this year reside in the Motor City. Obviously, I am not referring to the automakers. Rather, I am talking about Jim Leyland and the phenomenal job he has done with the Detroit Tigers, who have the best record in Major League baseball. Speaking of phenomenal, can I buy a deep in-the-money call on Albert Pujols? With just over a quarter of the regular season completed, Pujols has 22 homers and 54 RBI. This guy is a bona fide superstar.
As for the divisional races, the Red Sox and Yankees continue to battle for supremacy in the AL East, while the White Sox are tailgating the Tigers in the AL Central. Both Western divisions are highly competitive, with all the teams within hailing distance of first place.
Led by Pujols, the Cardinals lead the NL Central, with the Reds and Astros several games back. My two former teams, the Mets and the Phillies, are first and second in the NL East. However, those ever-present Atlanta Braves, once nine games under .500, have quietly played their way back into contention. I must admit that I am not particularly fond of the Braves.In fact, one of my most memorable post-season home runs was one in Atlanta that knocked them out of the playoffs in 1993. I use to love "silencing the crowd" (similar to what I've been doing since I started writing and picking stocks for TheStreet.com). Nevertheless, the Braves have won 14 consecutive NL East titles; that certainly speaks to sustained excellence.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV