National Interstate Earnings Rise
National Interstate (NATL) said earnings rose 21.9% from a year-ago period for the first quarter, thanks to an increase in premiums earned.
The Richfield, Ohio-based insurance company earned $8.73 million, or 45 cents a share, in the quarter, compared with $7.16 million, or 39 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call were expecting earnings of 40 cents a share in the most recent quarter.
First-quarter revenue rose 18.5% from a year ago to $55.1 million. Total premium earned increased 16.5% to $50.32 million and net investment income increased to $3.9 million from $2.67 million.
Loss and loss adjustment expenses increased 14.7% to $29.9 million while loss and loss adjustment expense ratio decreased 100 basis points to 59.4%. Underwriting expense ratio increased 180 basis points to 22% and combined ratio stood at 81.4%.Gross premium written increased 5.8% to $109.54 million and net premium written increased 7.9% to $79.41. This lower growth rate is due to a portion of a large group captive program that renews in the first quarter of each year was moved to a new program that will renew in the fourth quarter. "Our continued strong profitability reflects our focus on risk selection, disciplined underwriting and our growing investment portfolio," the company said. "We are also pleased with our rate of premium growth given current market conditions."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV