E3 Notebook: Let the Games Begin
That's all well and good if you can emphasize fun games, which Nintendo did to some degree, showing off cartoonish sports games that looked fun even if they weren't exactly photorealistic.
But then the company showed off Red Steel, an upcoming action game from Ubisoft. Players get to fight gangs using guns and swords in a graphical environment that looks like something dated to the first generation of PlayStation 2 games six years ago. This is a game that would look awesome on the PlayStation 3 or the Xbox 360, taking advantage of their superior graphics. Instead, it looked pixilated and rough on the Nintendo Wii. Stick with the fun stuff, Nintendo.
That's what Microsoft tried to show off with its Viva Pinata game, an upcoming title from its Rare studios. This looks like a rare miss to me. The goal of the game is to grow and develop an ecosystem of living pinatas, even to encourage them to mate by taking them through elaborate dancing rituals. The point for Microsoft is to try to appeal beyond the core gamer audience to more mainstream consumers. Somehow, I think it's going to take more than this.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV