Microsoft Keeping Web Arsenal Well-Stocked
Here's a look at a few other Microsoft Research projects:
- "Shortstop" is a research project aimed at making alerts to mobile users "aware" of the recipient's status. It makes no sense, for example, to send a text message to someone driving on the freeway, but sending it while the driver is stopped at a traffic light is acceptable. To find out more about driving patterns, researchers gave 150 Microsoft staffers special GPS units that record their moves behind the wheel. To date, more than 37,000 traffic stops occurring over 19,000 mile of driving have been analyzed, says Microsoft researcher Muru Subamani.
- SenseWeb is a framework that will be used to add real-time data to online maps. Researcher Suman Nath says that nearly any sensor that can be linked to the Web. For instance, a traffic camera or a thermometer can easily feed data to a mapping site by using software developed by his team. Microsoft will open SenseWeb fairly soon and will allow the public to add their own sensors to the site.
- PinPoint enables people to use global positioning systems on mobile phones to find friends and family. Microsoft has built a server that tracks contacts and sends alerts to users when certain events occur. A parent, for example, might want to when a child arrives at school. The server maintains settings for alerts and security that users create from a desktop client. The phone can display maps, directions and alerts generated by the server, says researcher Rich Hughes.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV