Today's Small-Cap Winners and Losers
Trex (TWP) saw its shares surge after the Winchester, Va., company beat Wall Street's first-quarter earnings expectations.
The company, a maker of composite decking and railing, said sales rose 17.1% from a year ago to $105.3 million. Earnings fell to $4.2 million, or 29 cents a share, from $8.4 million, or 56 cents a share, a year ago.
Analysts polled by Thomson First Call were expecting the company to post earnings of 24 cents a share on revenue of $113.8 million.
Trex also affirmed its previously announced guidance for the first six months of the year, which calls for net sales of $220 million to $230 million and earnings of 57 cents to 62 cents a share. For the first half of last year, the company had sales of $173 million and earnings of 50 cents a share.Shares of Trex were rising $3.31, or 12%, to $30.77 in recent trading. American Retirement (ACR), a Brentwood, Tenn., operator of senior-living communities, raised its 2006 guidance, lifting its shares Thursday. The company said it expects to earn 69 cents to 72 cents a share this year, after an estimated cost of 12 cents for share-based compensation. American had previously forecast 65 cents to 67 cents. American Retirement is scheduled to release its first-quarter results on May 4. Also, the company said it agreed to acquire the lessee's interest in a Denver community that American currently manages. Upon closing the purchase, the property will convert from a managed community to a leased community, and its operating results will be included in American's consolidated financial statements. Shares of American gained $1.80, or 7.7%, to $25.21 in recent trading. Gorman-Rupp's (GRC) shares advanced after the Mansfield, Ohio, maker of fluid-control equipment said its first-quarter sales and earnings were much stronger than a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV