Harte-Hanks Earnings Fall
San Antonio-based Harte-Hanks (HHS) said its first-quarter earnings fell 5.1% from a year ago
The direct marketing company earned $23.8 million, or 29 cents a share, in the quarter, compared with $25.1 million, or 29 cents a share, a year ago. The earnings included stock options expense of a penny a share. Analysts polled by Thomson First Call were expecting earnings of 30 cents a share in the most recent quarter.
First-quarter revenue increased 3.8% to $278.4 million as against analysts' estimate of $285.4 million.
Sales from direct marketing segment fell 3.4% to $164.3 million. In the prevous year, the company benefited from a large project. Revenue from shoppers' segment rose 16.1% to $114.1 million, thanks to the Tampa acquisition.Operating profit fell 6.5% to $39.6 million and operating profit margin declined 160 basis points to 14.2% in the most recent quarter. "We were able to achieve the same level of earnings per share this quarter as we delivered in last year's first quarter, despite the difficult comparisons we faced and the inclusion of stock-based compensation expense in this year's first quarter," the company said. The company's shares were trading at $26.54, down 15 cents, or 0.6% Wednesday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV