Seven Steps for Handling Stock Tips
- If we still haven't raised any red flags, then step six is to have a look at the company's Web site. A slow-loading, ugly-looking site is a very bad sign -- especially for a technology, Internet or telecom company. A lousy site suggests a shell company with no true assets or products. These are, not surprisingly, good stocks to avoid.
- If all these steps haven't dampened your enthusiasm yet, then go to step seven: Order an investor relations package from the company. You want to receive something professionally written on high-quality paper with glossy photos. It should arrive quickly (but not by express mail). It should contain no typos or printing errors, and certainly nothing that looks like it was quickly and cheaply photocopied.
Note that you can do all these steps without even getting into the fundamentals of a company. The goal is to quickly eliminate the dogs before you waste a lot of time or money on them.
This entire process of reviewing a tipped stock should take you anywhere from 30 seconds to several weeks. Start doing this on a regular basis, and you won't get all hot and bothered every time you hear the next great stock tip.And that can save you a lot of money.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV