How to Build an ETF Portfolio
But there is a catch. Because ETFs trade like stocks, you have to pay a commission fee every time you buy or sell a piece of these things -- just like you would a regular stock trade. So if you're planning on making monthly contributions to your portfolio, ETFs might not hold an advantage over regular funds.
In addition, if you're looking to beat the market as opposed to just keeping pace with it, you'll probably want to go with individual stocks or actively traded mutual funds, says Iachini.
Who Can Benefit From ETFs?
If you came into a big chunk of change and are just planning on dumping it into a taxable account, with no real intention of trading that money, these things could work for you, says Dan Culloton, a senior fund analyst at Morningstar.
In short, you want to buy 'em and hold 'em.But ETFs can also be a great way to add some sector exposure to your portfolio, says John Sweeney, senior vice president, Fidelity Personal Investments. Let's say you don't have enough health care exposure in your portfolio. You could consider the Health Care Select Sector SPDR (XLV), which tracks the S&P 500 health care sector, and be covered with one purchase. You could also try using ETFs the way the pros do -- as a parking lot for excess cash. ETF shares can easily be converted back to cash and don't have short-term redemption fees like many funds do. So you won't have to pay an early withdrawal charge because you withdrew the money before a specified time. You will be hit with commissions on the buy and sell, though, so make sure the amount is large enough to justify those fees.
Build an ETF PortfolioSo let's presume ETFs could work for you. What should go in your ETF portfolio?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV