RIM Still Reeling
Updated from 4:57 p.m. EDT
Research In Motion (RIMM) may have put a dangerous patent suit behind it, but troubled times are continuing for the BlackBerry maker.
The company's fourth-quarter results missed Wall Street's top- and bottom-line expectations. Worse yet, the company forecast disappointing results for its current, first quarter.
On a conference call on Thursday, co-CEO Jim Balsillie acknowledged that the company lost momentum in recent months amid worries that its wireless email service would be shut down in the U.S. as a result of the patent dispute. Additionally, some of RIM's carrier partners have delayed the launch of new handsets, which is leading to slower than expected growth, he said.But business is picking up, he insisted. New products and investments in international markets should help get RIM's business rolling again, particularly in the second half of this year, he said. "We're excited about how all aspects of our business are where they need be, or are about where they need be," Balsillie said on the call. "Quite frankly, I think we're on the cusp of another
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV