Five Reader Picks for Tech's Next Big Thing
A little more than a month ago I wrote a column on MSN Money about finding "the next big thing" in technology. The next big thing, I argued, would be a disruptive technology that changes the existing game and sends rivals to the scrap heap.
I picked seven "next big things":
- The "Cell" microprocessor
- The home-entertainment gateway
- The home-entertainment hub
- Internet telephony over mobile phones
- Electronic networked health care records
- Mapping everywhere
And I suggested that readers send me their own picks for the next big thing. If I got enough, I'd put them together into a follow-up column.
A Deluge of EntriesWell, of course, the shrinking violets they are, Jubak's Journal readers buried me with heated nominations that often began "How could you leave out ... " Here are the best of the bunch from that reader mail -- five more, to be exact.
I have not vetted any of these ideas, and readers should certainly not regard them as picks in any way. I see this effort as brainstorming.I have, however, checked to make sure that there is a public way to invest in each idea, and that none of these stocks are such micro-caps that a mention from me here would be easily manipulated by speculators. Lastly, I have provided some basic information that you might need to begin your own research. The ideas offered here and in the earlier column are intended to spark creative thinking that will lead to more ideas and, finally, after research and due diligence, to a stock or two you might want to buy. This column, like the earlier one, is just the first step in that process.
The ultracapacitor: "A good candidate for a disruptive technology is the ultracapacitor. Take a look at Maxwell Technologies (MXWL). Maxwell is a member of the
Hybrid Consortium, and Maxwell is included in the PowerShares Wilderhill Clean Energy ETF (PBW). Ultracapacitors are replacing or supplementing batteries in many applications from hybrids to fuel cells to automatic meter-reading devices." -- Joe.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV