Alcatel, Lucent Will Merge
The deal is likely to kick off a round of consolidation among telecom equipment makers, whose customers, the big telcos, have been on a merger binge of their own, leaving the equipment shops with smaller orders from fewer customers. The thinking is that merger-related cost savings will help the equipment makers better cope with this new reality.
In addition to cost savings, the companies say they will benefit from combining their research efforts as the telecommunications industry confronts rapid change.
"The communications industry is at the beginning of a significant transformation of network technologies, applications and services -- one that is projected to enable converged services across service-provider networks, enterprise networks and an array of personal devices," said Lucent's Russo in the press release. "This presents extraordinary opportunities for our combined company to accelerate its growth."
The deal could face tough political and regulatory hurdles, however, analysts have warned. Some politicians may feel uncomfortable about having foreign control of a company that has supplied lots of telecommunications equipment to the federal government.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV