Alcatel, Lucent Will Merge
In addition to cost savings, the companies say they will benefit from combining their research efforts as the telecommunications industry confronts rapid change.
"The communications industry is at the beginning of a significant transformation of network technologies, applications and services -- one that is projected to enable converged services across service-provider networks, enterprise networks and an array of personal devices," said Lucent's Russo in the press release. "This presents extraordinary opportunities for our combined company to accelerate its growth."
The deal could face tough political and regulatory hurdles, however, analysts have warned. Some politicians may feel uncomfortable about having foreign control of a company that has supplied lots of telecommunications equipment to the federal government.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV