Cramer's 'Mad Money' Recap: Drilling Over the Counter
Click here for an archive of Cramer's "Mad Money" recaps.
"The oil drillers have bounced back," Jim Cramer told "Mad Money" viewers Friday. That's why he believes it's time to look at Seitel (SELA), an unlisted stock that trades over the counter, Bulletin Board style, under the ticker SELA.OB.
Typically he doesn't like these stocks because they're dangerous and risky, he said. But Seitel is different because it's a lot bigger than the average Bulletin Board stock. Since its trading volume is decent, a lot of the risks are taken out of the equation, he said.Plus, the stock is trading this way because it's coming out of bankruptcy, and he believes it will be listed with the Nasdaq this time next year. Seitel has the largest "multiclient onshore seismic database in North America," he said, with 34,000 square miles of 3-D data and 1.1 million linear miles of 2-D data. If we're in a drilling boom, he said, oil and gas exploration expenditure should increase by 15% this year. Plus, the government has forgiven the royalties that drillers might have had to pay, and Cramer said that they won't just sit on this money. Companies will invest in new drilling. To get started, they'll have to spend money on data from Seitel, because they need to know the lay of the land before they drill anywhere. The company just became profitable again last quarter, and Cramer attributes this to an increase in drilling activity, adding that the company will continue to be a "cash-flow machine." The company's story is the "anatomy of a good recovery," he said, and it has exceptional operating margins.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV