'RealMoney' Radio Recap: Avid Following
If the Ice Age movie sequel turns out to be a huge blockbuster, it will convince Hollywood that there is more money to be made in animated films, which have been hits on screen and then hits again on DVD, Jim Cramer told his "RealMoney" radio show listeners Friday.
And the way to make money on that trend is to look into buying Avid Technology (AVID), the biggest maker of equipment used in filming computer-generated movies.
Cramer said that Silicon Graphics (SGID), another player in the space, is out of the running now that studios have switched to Avid software, which specializes in 3-D animation.
But Avid has "had a tough time as of late," because the consumer business that it bought has underperformed and has kept the company from having "a hammerlock" on the animation business.So, even though people hate the stock now, Cramer said that it's a good play because it essentially owns the digital editing systems business. With more computer animation films coming, he said he would buy a little here, and pick up more when it goes below $40. Thanks to Akamai (AKAM), you've been able to watch live sporting events on your computer, Cramer told listeners. Moreover, the company's chief executive, Paul Sagan, told him during an interview on Thursday's "Mad Money" TV show that Akamai just had its biggest week ever in terms of downloads thanks to March Madness, and Cramer believes it's only going to get bigger. But unlike Avid, which is down on its luck and trading lower, Akamai is at its 52-week high. That's why he said that investors need to be ready for the day when the market falls and brings Akamai down with it. That's the market throwing a sale, he said. Business is too strong for Akamai to come down of its own volition.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV