National Interstate Profit Rises
National Interstate (NATL) said earnings rose 19% from a year ago for the fourth quarter.
The Richfield, Ohio-based insurance company earned $7.9 million, or 41 cents a share, in the quarter, compared with $6.7 million, or 42 cents a share, a year ago. Analysts surveyed by Thomson First Call were expecting earnings of 34 cents a share in the most recent quarter.
Fourth-quarter revenue rose 21.9% from a year ago to $55.8 million. Total premium earned increased 22.4% to $51.9 million and net investment income increased to $3.54 million from $2.43 million.
Loss and loss adjustment expenses increased 27.4% to $30.4 million, while loss and loss adjustment expense ratio increased 227 basis points to 58.6%. Underwriting expense ratio decreased 110 basis points to 24.7% and combined ratio stands at 83.2%."We are very satisfied with the results from both the fourth quarter and full year of 2005 and the successful completion of our first year as a public company," the company said.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV